I’m never any good at those “about me” sections most blogs and personal websites have. I feel like I either have nothing good to say or that I have a lot to say but none of it is really anything people care about. Or I feel like the whole thing is a stupid excuse to brag or name drop or any number of things I don’t like doing. In a nutshell, I don’t like talking about me.
I’m not sure why. I think I’m an okay person, really. I’m reasonably interesting sometimes too. But the whole idea of sitting down and purposefully penning something along the lines of “this is a mini-biography of me!” kind of puts me off.
Some bloggers and authors are really good about it. They write something concise and yet interesting that makes you feel that you know them a bit better. You smile and nod and you can relate. I can’t do that. I feel like anything I write it all disjointed and kind of random, like I just blurted out whole bunch of strange facts loudly in a quiet room. To me, it goes something like this:
Everyone is happily discussing things like sports and what their kid did in school and then I stand up on a chair and yell, “I REALLY LIKE PIE.” And everyone stops talking and stares at me for a moment and then proceeds as if I didn’t exist.
So, because I’m bad at writing beautiful introductions about myself, I’m just gonna go with what I know how to do: blurt out random facts in no specific order. Why 23? That’s how old I am.
1. I actually do really like pie. It’s
almost better than cake.
2. I love baking. I would bake everyday if you let me and I could afford it. And if someone else would clean my kitchen.
3. I inherited my grandmother’s finickiness over cleanliness. Thankfully, I’m not nearly as obnoxious about it as she is.
4. I enjoy video games of all sorts. It has been a hobby since childhood.
5. I don’t really like kids. I like them more than I did in previous years, which is really saying something, but I still don’t really like them.
6. I have a ton of pet peeves. Listing them all would be exhausting. Number one on the list is having to listen to other people’s music.
7. I’m probably closer to an atheist than an agnostic, but I have my moments of surprising religiosity once in a great while.
8. My number one fear is spiders, but also to a lesser extent heights, drowning, and the dark.
9. My favorite flavor is lemon. Lemon anything.
10. I graduated summa cum laude with a GPA of 3.904. It’s my biggest accomplishment to date but hopefully not the last.
11. I used to suffer from sleep paralysis, a sleeping disorder in which your brain wakes up but your body remains paralyzed from REM sleep. It’s terrifying and makes it very hard to fall asleep sometimes. But, it hasn’t occurred in a long time. Knock on wood.
12. I have a major fascination with whale sharks. I want to swim with one before I kick the bucket.
13. I think being a voice actor would be fun. I could die happy if I voiced a Disney princess.
14. I don’t like Adam Sandler, Will Ferrell, Rob Schneider or any of that group of “comedians”. They annoy the crap out of me.
15. If I hadn’t chosen the psychology/criminology route in college, I might have decided upon marine biology or interior design. I’m kind of all over the board I guess.
16. One of my life goals is to publish a novel or two.
17. Those animal adoption commercials with the sad puppy faces and the Sarah McLachlan song choke me up every time. But the Christian Children’s Fund commercials with the starving kids just make me change the channel.
18. I love the rain and everything about the rain. I would love to live somewhere where it rained more often.
19. I struggled with anxiety and depression throughout adolescence and highschool. It’s gone now. I couldn’t be happier about it.
20. I have my lip pierced. I would have a lot more pierced but unfortunately that isn’t conducive to getting a good job these days. Which I think is pretty lame.
21. I’m pretty foul mouthed, but I try to be smart about when and where I start up the sailor talk. At home with The Boy? No holds barred. At dinner with my grandparents? I’m an angel.
22. I like to make lists. I make lists like a mad woman. I make lists for everything! Shopping lists, to-do lists, lists of which lists I need to make…nothing is quite as satisfying as crossing something off a list.
23. I’m not the type of person to have a role model, but if I were, it would have to be my grandfather. He pulled himself out of a less than awesome home life, struck out on his own, and made something of himself. If I am one tenth as successful as he is, I will be alright with that.